Star Trek Armada II: Patch Project
This is a definite must-download for all Armada 2 players, as it introduces many fixes and new features (especially for modders).
- the popular MVAM problem has been solved (I hope that we see a working Prometheus soon )
- new command line parameter ( /quick to skip intros)
- "maxBuildableNumber" ODF command (forces the player to have only a certain number of a ship class or station)
- better exception catching engine (reports bugs to FO team)
- game updater in the main menu
- many bug fixes
- your game is still compatible to 1.1 patched versions online
- makes A2 running on Windows Vista
So what are you waiting for? Get this thing ASAP!
Note: You are allowed to include the patch and the included files in any of your own releases without any permission. If you want to do so download the zipped patch version (not online yet).
Star Trek Armada II Patch Project
Copyright (C) 2007-2008 Fleet Operations Development Team
What is it?
The Star Trek: Armada II Patch 1.2 Project is an unofficial patch made by the developers of the Fleet Operations total conversion for Star Trek Armada II.
It is meant as a patch for every Armada II installation, despite of it is stock or has been modded. It patches serveral bugs that were not fixed with the latest official 2002 release of Patch 1.1. More and more reports of people not being able to play Armada 2 coming up as today people are using much more enhanced software and hardware than 5 years ago. The developers of Armada 2 targeted Windows 98 and partly Windows 2000 as plattform.
The Patch 1.2 Project offers mod developers several new features. An overview can be found here: www.fleetops.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,3/topic,3545.0/
What is it not?
The patch project does not provide new textures sounds or anything else that is related to change the game experience. Patch 1.2 is fully backwards compatible with Armada 2 Patch 1.1. That means, you will be able to play together with people still using patch 1.1, while having the advantages of the Patch 1.2 Project.
The first releases of Patch 1.2 are intended to fix Armada 2's bugs. Later version will feature full widescreen support and new enhancements for mod developers.
Who should install Patch 1.2?
Everyone playing Star Trek Armada II.
Fleet Operations players do not require to install this patch. An enhanced version of that patch is included in Fleet Operations 3.0 final.
- Several smaller speed optimations
- Code updated to the latest Fleet Operations dev build
- Loader-free. All Armada 2 executables are now left untouched. (previous PP installations are reverted back automatically by the installer.)
- A new weapon for mod developers: ReplaceWeapon (Prometheus MVAM proof-of-concept)
- Hotfixed a crash when trying to research Planetary Shields. Thanks Carsten S. for reporting.
- Hotfixed a bug with modular base support. Thanks Meredith for reporting.
- Fixed a bug in "maxBuildableNumber" that could cause slowdowns on some systems.
- added a new command line parameter: /quick - skips the splash screen and intro video. Brings you directly to the main screen.
- Mod Developers: Armada1-like modular base support, that allows to build all classlabels as research pods, including crafts and stations.
- Hopefully fixed the Xfire detection bug. Thanks TParis for reporting.
- Graphics detail is not longer set to "high" by default, which caused some problems with disappearing grid lines. Delete your config files if the error still persists.
- A new command for mod developers: Added "maxBuildableNumber" ODF command.
- Another possible crash fixed when hosting games. Thanks ambassador for reporting
- NetworkManager.dll file is now left untouched
- "Sorry, there is not enough memory to continue" - screen
- Crash to desktop right after splash screen related to an stack overflow
- Multiplayer/Online crash with Vista (could fix Wine multiplayer issues too. To be confirmed).
- enhanced exception catching engine (MadExcept by madshi)